Higher Education and Training Call for Nomination
Invitation for nominations of members of the public to be appointed to serve on the Councils for Technical and Vocational Educational and Training (TVET) Colleges.
- Eastern Cape: Buffalo City TVET College, East Cape Midlands TVET College, Ikhala TVET College, Ingwe TVET College, King Hintsa TVET College, King Sabata Dalindyebo TVET College, Lovedale TVET College and Port Elizabeth TVET College.
- Free State: Flavius Mareka TVET College, Goldfields TVET College, Maluti TVET College and Motheo TVET College.
- KwaZulu-Natal: Coastal TVET College, Elangeni TVET College, Esayidi TVET College, Majuba TVET College, Mnambithi TVET College, Mthashana TVET College, Thekwini TVET College, Umfolozi TVET College, Umgungundlovu TVET College.
- Limpopo: Capricorn TVET College, Lephalale TVET College, Letaba TVET College, Mopani South East TVET College, Sekhukhune TVET College, Vhembe TVET College, Waterberg TVET College.
Five positions are available on the council for each of the colleges listed in the schedule.
Furthermore, members (nominees) are to be nominated by person in the public (nominator) accompanied by a witness.
Nominations should be made on the nomination form provided for on the website of the Department of Higher Education and Training (www.dhet.gov.za) or on request from Dr N Nkoe at 012 312 5316 Email: Nkoe.N@dhet.gov.za or Mr K Pole at 021 312 5014 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Nominations made in this reply to this notice must be submitted by 20 August 2018 to: The Director-General, Department of Higher Education and Training, For Attention: Ms G Magnus, Private bag x 174 Pretoria, 0001.
Nomination document (203Kb WORD)
The following Acting Chief Financial Officer position is available on a full time basis from 1 September 2018 to 30 June 2019:
- Central Johannesburg College (Gauteng)
- Nkangala (Witbank)
- Mthashana (Vryheid)
- Buffalo City(East London)
- King Hintsa (Butterworth)
- Letaba (Tzaneen)
- Lephalale (Limpopo)
Candidates should have:
- Senior manager level experience
- Qualified CA
- 5 years' post article experience
- Public sector experience
Submit CVs to email@example.com
The role of the Acting Chief Financial Officer will be to provide support to the college's finance function through the following roles and responsibilities:
- To be delegated signing powers for expenditure approval within the framework of the College’s delegation of authority.
- To participate in the formulation and implementation of the annual college strategy, based on a 2 to 5 year view of requirements.
- To be responsible for the preparation of the annual College budget.
- To coordinate, manage and monitor the College operating budget and expenditure management processes and delivery within agreed deadlines.
- To coordinate the CAPEX budget and spending within agreed parameters, prioritising projects based on return on investment and associated risks, as well as ensuring that all investments are in line with strategy and approved policies.
- To report the budget and expenditure analysis in the required format and present it to the management team and the College Council.
- To be responsible for the production of compliant Annual Financial Statements for approval by the Accounting Officer and Council Chair, as required by the Department of Higher Education and Training in terms of Generally Recognised Accounting Practice (GRAP).
- To be responsible for producing monthly financial reports, as required by College management and the Department of Higher Education and Training, through the implementation of a coordinated month-end close process that ensures completeness, accuracy and validity of reported information.
- To provide ad hoc information, reports and technical guidance to decision-makers on an ongoing basis.
- To manage and optimise college cash flow (including timeous submission of NSFAS claims) and investment decisions.
- To continuously identify and pursue opportunities to improve internal control procedures throughout the College. This will include analysing internal procedures (including financial systems) as well as external audit and management reports, the development of audit action plans and the effective monitoring of the implementation of those audit action plans to address root causes and strengthen internal controls.
- To ensure effective audit coordination and follow up of audit queries to achieve an enhanced and streamlined audit process.
- To negotiate and review new contracts ensuring their commercial soundness and alignment with the College’s strategy, financial accounting as well as reporting implications.
- To manage the compilation and generation of Council presentations, as well as interim and year-end results and annual reports.
- To be responsible for the College’s payroll (situated in the finance section) and ensuring the timeous payment. This will include monthly payroll verification and reconciliations for both the College payroll as well as the Departmental payroll, managed by the Department of Higher Education and Training on behalf of the College.
- To manage the supply chain function from demand, through acquisitioning and logistics, to disposal, in compliance with legislation and College policy, and in support of the College’s objectives, including the principle of “value for money”.
- To ensure that the asset management function is effective and operational. This will include oversight of the asset management function and performing regular reconciliations between the financial and asset management systems, specifically focusing on additions and disposals.
- To assess the functionality and reliability of the College’s financial management systems and propose the necessary recommendations to achieve the optimum solutions.
- To establish and manage the College financial accounting system ensuring compliance with all prescripts and the maintenance of the general ledgers in accordance with applicable policy, prescripts and accounting frameworks.
- To be responsible for facilitating the establishment of the internal audit and risk management functions.
- To be responsible for facilitating the establishment of the audit committee functions.